Friday, April 8, 2016

WiFi Stories

So Ubuntu keeps a list of networks that it had connected to before. You can basically view all those wifi and wired internet connections you had in the past, by
$  ls /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections

I have a long list in my computer. In addition, my phone and Nexus 7 have their own long list. I have even forgotten the origin of some of these system connections - when did I connect to these WiFi networks!


28 -- ??
ABC -- Airport Business Center
AdareHotel -- The hotel I stayed in London in 2014.
AdareHotel_EXT -- Same as above.
AirFranceLounge -- Paris CDG Airport
Airport WiFi -- airport
ALBROHOUSE -- ??
Anantara Kihavah WiFi -- maldives ??
arq_wifi -- ??
ART-HOTEL -- An Art hotel that I stayed. Forgot where that was located.
ATL Free Wi-Fi -- ??
ATT39pxl25 -- Home in Atlanta
Auto Ethernet -- The default wired connection
AWG-WiFi -- ??
Best Prime Solutions -- ??
Boingo Hotspot -- The regular airport WiFi. Mostly I used in Lisboa airport.
Boingo Hotspot 1 -- Same as above.
bora-bora -- My friend's home in Belgrade.
BS Tours Hotspot 1 -- The wifi in Rijeka's intercity bus stop.
BTOpenzone -- ??
CarrisTur -- ??
Clinica Dr. Varela Silva -- A dentist in Lisboa
DESCARTES -- The Paris university where MASCOTS 2014 was held.
Dhiraagu Wireless Zone -- ??
Dialog 4G -- ??
Dlink -- ??
Docomomo -- ??
eduroam -- The greatest eduroam university network.
EmoryUnplugged -- Emory wifi.
esw635 -- ??
ESW-Home -- ??
Excelsior Rooms - The hotel I stayed in Paris, 2014.
extremeGSD - INESC-ID Lisboa connection.
Fejan - Fejan island in Sweden - we go there for EMDC summer events.
FON_ZON_FREE_INTERNET - A useless "free" internet in Lisbon, that connects by default, and is not really free.
FreeInternet -- ??
Free_Public_WIFI -- ??
GEOMETRAL -- A company in Benfica Lisboa, next to our apartment.
GRW-Slajs -- ??
_Heathrow Wi-Fi -- Heathrow airport.
hhonors -- ??
hhonors-public -- Same as above, of course.
HOME-65C2 -- Some home internet.
Homeinternet -- Same as above.
homerun -- ??
HotSpot -- ??
Hyatt - Santa Clara hotel when I visited for OpenDaylight Summit 2015.
Instant Internet -- ??
ISCTE-IUL - The Lisboa's business school.
KFC FREE WIFI -- Which KFC is that?
LieBaoWiFi346 -- Virtual Internet wifi software from China.
Lorca -- ??
MEO-7CC9C1 -- Some Lisboa home internet.
MEO-84E288 -- Same as above
Some interesting wifi names
MEO-624A55 -- Same as above
MEO-626B69 -- Same as above
MEO-93715A -- My first apartment in Lisboa
MEO-93715A 1 -- Same as above.
MEO-WiFi -- Another useless common open wifi. Never worked.
M&F Lisboa -- My Lisboa apartment in Benfica.
M&F Lisboa 1 -- Same as above.
Mobitel Default 1 -- The mobile internet where I stayed in Sri Lanka in 2015.
Motel6-2 -- Motel 6 in Tempe, when I visited there for IC2E 2015.
Motel6-3 -- Same as above.
MSP-WiFi -- ??
opencsv -- ??
Opendaylight2.4 -- ??
OptiDSL_ECEE -- ??
PARC55-MEETING -- Internet during AMIA-CRI 2016.
Podmurvice -- ??
Red Coach 1 - Hotel in San Francisco where we stayed during the AMIA-CRI.
Red Coach 2 - Same as above.
Reimersholme Hotel - The place we stayed during my KTH graduation. A beautiful island in Stockholm.
RIJEKA - FREE ACCESS -- Free Internet in the Rijeka city center. Loved it.
sala537 -- A wifi from INESC-ID. Never worked.
Schiphol_Airport_WiFi -- Amsterdam airport
SC HOTSPOT -- ??
Thomson53AEC4 -- ??
TP-LINK_843F0A -- ??
UltraGSD -- INESC-ID internet.
_VINCI Airports wifi - Lisboa Airport internet.
*WIFI-AIRPORT -- An airport wifi. Not sure which is that.
zhen_xing303 -- The hotel in Shenzhen.
zhen_xing503 - Same as above.
zhen_xing505 - Same as above.
zhin_xing304 - Same as above.
#SFO FREE WIFI - San Francisco free wifi during my trip in 2016. Never really worked, if I remember correctly.


Today I was at S. Domingos Benfica bus stop waiting for the bus to go to my lab. I opened my laptop since there was a considerable waiting time. Then I found a lot of Wi-Fi connections - all protected. Some Wi-Fi names are funny. :D 

Are you the owner of the "OneDoesNotSimplyStealMyWifi "? The Wi-Fi name sounds more like a challenge though. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to provide your opinions in the comments. Spam comments and comments with random links will be deleted.