Being a mentor for the Google Summer of Code with AbiWord for the second time is going to be an interesting experience once more. It was a nice memory going through all the 29 proposals for AbiWord and reviewing them as a mentor. Selected students were announced by Google on 1900UTC, 23rd of April.
The list of accepted students, along with their project proposals as well as their mentors are given below.
1) Tanya Guza - "Improve ODF support" - Mentored by Hub
2) Kousik Kumar - "Table Improvements" - Mentored by Simon
3) Aaditya - "Implement Rotated Text" - Mentored by Martin
4) Vincent (Zuyin Kang) - "Dialog improvements" - Mentored by Pradeeban
5) Bafna - "Implement and Improve the import and export of math from/to odt, doc & docx formats" - Mentored by Jean
6) Serhatkiyak - "Improving Abiword's OpenXML(.docx) support" - Mentored by Dom
An interesting point to notice is that, since 2006, AbiWord has successfully been participated in all the Google Summer of Codes (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012). Hence this becomes the 7th consecutive year for AbiWord to participate in Google Summer of Code! I wish the 6 students who got selected a great summer of code with AbiWord, and I hope they will continue to be a long term contributors even after their summer. At the same time, I should also note that, we had to miss a few nice students as we have only 6 slots. Hope they will still continue with their development on AbiWord.