Thursday, March 5, 2015

Dropbox Love and heart break.. :D

Yesterday was supposed to be the day that we will be losing the free storage space we got from the Dropbox Space Race Promotion for the last two years. I even noticed some other cloud storage providers targeted the users migrating from Dropbox, probably connected with the end of this promotion. I received the below email last night from Dropbox.

Hi Kathiravelu,
The 25 GB of additional Dropbox space you received as part of Space Race has now expired. Your Dropbox limit has automatically been adjusted to 10 GB.
You’re currently using 5.0 GB of Dropbox space. If you’re over your 10 GB limit, you’ll no longer be able to save new photos, videos, and docs to Dropbox — see our Help Center for more information.
Need more space? Dropbox Pro gives you 1 TB of space to keep everything safe, plus advanced sharing controls, remote wipe for lost devices, and priority support.
Upgrade your Dropbox
Interested in Dropbox for teams? Check out Dropbox for Business!
Thanks for participating in Space Race!
- The Dropbox Team


I was expecting my storage quota to drop to 10 GB. As I mentioned in a previous post, I had already moved majority of my files away from Dropbox, and was ready for this downgrade. Last night, Dropbox started to reduce the storage quota, in steps. It did not reduce it at one shot to 10 GB.

As you can see from the screenshot, it decided to reduce in an eventual manner. However, it still remains at 19.88 GB (not 10 GB, which should be the limit, according to the previous mail notifications). Probably Dropbox decided to be a bit nicer. I did not fail to notice the heart-broken symbol

Let me know, if you have stories to share on this migration hell.. :D

Later update: Interestingly, when I checked a few days after, Dropbox has removed all the event notifications and heart break symbols and left the account with only the original space (9.9 GB). It displayed this message in a header, "Your Dropbox Space Race promotion has expired. Get more space with Dropbox Pro!" This seems more professional and less personal. :D

2 comments:

  1. I'm just deleting my stuff haha. Most of the things are useless :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept my photos and EMDC stuff in Dropbox. Had to migrate the photos away. EMDC stuff are not that much, and still inside Dropbox. :D

      Delete

You are welcome to provide your opinions in the comments. Spam comments and comments with random links will be deleted.