Saturday, March 16, 2019

Weekends

Coffee during a weekend
Weekends - who do not love them? They are a welcome change in a daily routine, to catch up with the other things that are left behind in a tight weekly schedule.

Weekends in Sri Lanka
My perception of weekends, of course, changed with time. During my school days, I had lots of tuition classes during the weekends. As a result, weekends were not really free. Sometimes we had long weekends, thanks to public holidays coming on Fridays or Mondays. Every month had a full moon day, which is a public holiday in Sri Lanka. Weekends were always a welcome change from the daily school days routine. During my undergrad days, I was usually free during the weekends, except for a few Saturdays when we had lectures. When I started working, that was when the concept of free weekends took a full shape. I was free during the weekends except when I had deadlines.

Weekends in the EU

Then I moved to the EU for my higher studies. During the MSc days, we had loads of fun during the weekends with friends that I fondly recall. My PhD time schedule was very flexible. Sometimes I worked during the weekends while having fun during the weekdays. Therefore the differentiation between the weekdays and weekends became blurred once again. Still, weekends were the days I usually went to beaches or movies. I always loved the weekends for some coffee in Portuguese cafes (I miss those Portuguese cafes and their cheap, but quality coffee) or for a stroll in a shopping mall.

Weekends in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

When I went to Saudi Arabia, the weekends consist of Friday and Saturday. But we often worked on Friday due to our international collaborations. Similarly, our work was somewhat relaxed on Sundays due to lack of collaborators present on Sundays from other countries. Therefore, depending on how you see it, the weekends fluctuated between 1 (Saturday), 2 (Friday and Saturday), or 3 (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) days in the Kingdom.

Weekends in Atlanta
Now in Atlanta, I spend my weekdays at work. With a routine schedule, weekends have become yet again well-defined. I spend most of my weekend, catching up with shopping, attending to non-work stuff, and listening to some music. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to provide your opinions in the comments. Spam comments and comments with random links will be deleted.