Saturday, October 26, 2019

Me and daylight savings

I have this love-hate relationship with the daylight saving time settings. In the spring, European countries and most US states clocks are moved 1-hour faster. Then in the autumn, the clocks are turned back to the regular time. That means when the sun starts to rise late, when you have to go to work in the darkness, you suddenly get one more hour of sleep. But then, you also lose one more hour in the evening. When you come home, it is already very dark. While I appreciate the attempts to adapt to the seasons, such time changes also create an artificial and abrupt timeshift on a single day. I am not sure whether I love or hate these time changes. However, Europe is getting rid of these timeshifts by 2021. There is always a 2-week difference when EU changes time each semester and when the USA changes. There was a time I was flying from Lisboa to Phoenix via MSP. Interestingly, that day the USA was having the time shifted to summertime. However, Arizona doesn't follow daylight savings. This confused me a bit, together with my delayed luggage. I am waiting to see how different EU countries will choose their permanent times as they bid goodbye to daylight savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to provide your opinions in the comments. Spam comments and comments with random links will be deleted.