Saturday, October 26, 2019

Zugspitze by public transport

Crossing the border by foot, to Austria ;)
Zugspitze is the tallest mountain summit in Germany. It shares the border with Austria. Since Austria has taller peaks, Zugspitze has more interest from the German side, dubbed as the Top of Germany. This time we visited Zugspitze from Munich, using public transport. It was quite an easy trip, thanks to this blog post. At 2,962 meters, Zugspitze is also the highest elevation I have been in my entire life. Sri Lanka's tallest peak Pidurutalagala is 2,524 m. My other summits, Vall de Nuria, Spain (2013) is at 2,252 m and peaks of Malbun, Liechtenstein (2016) slightly less than 2,000 m. I will wait to see when I will overtake my current highest elevation in the future.

We managed to catch only the 10:32 train to

The summit
Even in these autumn days, Zugspitze had the ice on the glacier and the summit. I believe this must be permafrost that never melts. The glacier was so bright and watching them made me lose eyesight for a few seconds! The snow-capped mountains were reflecting the sunlight from all the angles, making it brighter than directly staring at the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to provide your opinions in the comments. Spam comments and comments with random links will be deleted.