Saturday, April 18, 2020

Pandemic Atlanta Lockdown - Week 5

Box of the birthday cake from my friends, with all their greetings, 2013 January in Lisboa.
Sometimes we move non-stop and way too fast. Only when we slow down, we have time to look back and appreciate the good things we had in our life. The COVID-19 pandemic is such a moment. We are all forced to slow down. Some people are used to staying home alone, while others are trying other coping mechanisms. We have already completed one month of working from home. So far, our team has managed the work from home quite elegantly.

From an Inconvenience to the Bitter Reality

The pandemic started as a minor inconvenience for many of us: canceled travel plans and being forced to stay alone away from family due to the International travel restrictions. But the situation keeps getting worse in the USA and the world. Now, we know that we have already lost a massive number of human lives, and this count keeps increasing. Also, this is going to be a gigantic economic disaster, too, once the pandemic is over. Everyone is comparing this pandemic as a combination of the 1918 Spanish Flu and the Great Depression.

Some more greetings!
We already hear about cuts in benefits and salary increments. At this point, at least one university has introduced pay cuts up to 20% or furloughs for all its staff and faculty. The hiring freeze also means a risk of unemployment for those in temporary work contracts. For those in work visas, this may also mean having to leave the country, as hiring freezes make it hard to find a new job as the freezes last until August 2021. Nomadic life (i.e., moving between countries and continents for life) is not new to me. But being forced to move by a deadly pandemic followed by an economic Great Depression isn't going to be fun. There is undoubtedly a cloud of uncertainty that covers the rest of the year and next year, like a dark cloud.

Coping up with the Current Situation

Now we have a better perception: This is a deadly pandemic, and its effects are going to last beyond this year, as a humanitarian and economic crisis. Having that in mind, I am complaining less about minor inconveniences, such as having to stay home alone. At least for now, I have the job, and I eat and drink as usual. Although I do not go out, I order the materials for delivery (from Kroger, WholeFoods, and Amazon Fresh) and make myself good food and drinks. I have successfully replicated a decent life and happy moments alone with cocktails and fancy food I cook for myself once in a while (thus, replacing the need for a random restaurant/bar run). Oh yes, of course, I still miss Lisboa's Hard Rock Cafe. I also have my projector for music videos. I spend my weekends mostly practicing Portuguese.

To overcome all these negative moments, I wanted to refresh my memories of my young, energetic days, and previous travels. So I was going through my old photos. And I found some interesting photos from 2013 January -- The case of the cake from my friends on my birthday in Lisboa. ❤️ Good memories. :) 

Future Uncertainties

Bombay Sapphire with lime juice
I know there are challenges ahead. I willingly accept uncertainties as a positive part of my life. But there is a fine difference between taking challenges on your own vs challenges imposed by a deadly pandemic. Predictions such as an economic Great Depression spanning the first half of the 2020s is worrying. Of course, the humanitarian costs caused by the deadly disease and the lengthy path towards the normalcy are even more concerning before we can even think about the economic hardships.

The economic downfall of the countries may force many of us out of our resident countries. I have been very flexible with migrations 2012 - 2018 and always took them positively. 2017 tested me with its extreme challenges. I managed it quite well, despite the way too many flights, uncertainties, and migrations. The last time I moved between countries or continents were in 2018 summer. I might have to wear my nomad hat once again in 2021, judging from how things are going. I believe I have the energy to take this challenge in 2020 - 2021. I might have some unhappy moments and uncertain times in the process. But we will survive together.

In the meantime, I hope everyone takes care and stays safe! Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to provide your opinions in the comments. Spam comments and comments with random links will be deleted.